Wednesday, October 3, 2012

31 Days of Finding Home Day 3: The House That Built Me

Day 3





The House That Built Me



I know they say you can't go home againI just had to come back one last timeMa'am, I know you don't know me from AdamBut these hand prints on the front steps are mine

Up those stairs in that little back bedroomIs where I did my homework and I learned to play guitarAnd I bet you didn't know under that live oakMy favorite dog is buried in the yard

I thought if I could touch this place or feel itThis brokenness inside me might start healingOut here it's like I'm someone elseI thought that maybe I could find myself

If I could just come in, I swear I'll leaveWon't take nothing but a memoryFrom the house that built me

Mama cut out pictures of houses for yearsFrom "Better Homes and Garden" magazinePlans were drawn and concrete pouredAnd nail by nail and board by boardDaddy gave life to mama's dream

I thought if I could touch this place or feel itThis brokenness inside me might start healingOut here it's like I'm someone elseI thought that maybe I could find myself

If I could just come in, I swear I'll leaveWon't take nothing but a memoryFrom the house that built me

You leave home, you move onAnd you do the best you canI got lost in this whole worldAnd forgot who I am

I thought if I could touch this place or feel itThis brokenness inside me might start healingOut here it's like I'm someone elseI thought that maybe I could find myself

If I could walk around, I swear I'll leaveWon't take nothing but a memoryFrom the house that built me




 MIRANDA LAMBERT - THE HOUSE THAT BUILT ME LYRICS 

There aren't many memories for me as a child that don't involve my home where I grew up.
I lived in the same home all of my life, until I married. 
That feeling of home never leaves me....the comfort you feel when eating at the dinner table with your whole family on Sundays, movie nights in the basement family room, doing the yardwork with my dad....Christmas morning...oh, my list and memories are L O N G.

Researching photos for this post, looking through my box of my childhood pictures, brought back a flood of memories! I am SO thankful for these memories of HOME.






Sadly, my parents sold this home soon after I was married...they were officially "empty nesters", and wanted to move closer to where my mama grew up. This home will forever be a part of me.
It's amazing that my parents raised us four sisters here...compared to today's home square footages, this was tiny. But it suited us just right, and it was full of LOVE! 



The four of us sisters 


"A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built of love and dreams..."Anonymous
I'm thankful that I have had this feeling happen twice in my life. First, my childhood home, then now my home I share with my kids and husband. Some people spend their whole lives searching for that Feeling of Home. This is the home that built me.....



~Kim


No comments:

This is "What I NEVER knew that I ALWAYS wanted"

A born and raised city girl, finding the country life to be the real me! Every day is an adventure, and each season brings new excitement and experiences. I am learning and loving the path of finding my true passion....making this little farm our HOME!